Yarn Tassel Garland
This yarn tassel garland was an easy way to add color and texture to my Easter bowtie photo session. This would also make a great party backdrop or addition to a mantel. I’ve made a lot of tissue paper tassels. However, I wanted something that was a bit more sturdy and something I could save year to year. I also thought it was easier to make and to find the colors I wanted in the yarn rather than the tissue paper. I purchased the yarn from Michaels with a coupon. I chose colors that I felt would compliment the bowties and that were Easter colors. I just ripped off a piece of cardboard from the flap of a box from amazon. I had scissors and I had some white ribbon to attach the tassel’s to. I made 32 tassels. It took me about an hour from start to finish. This was also a great craft my four year old was able to help me with.
Supplies: Yarn, Scissors, Piece of Cardboard, Ribbon
1) Wrap yarn around cardboard. Mine was about 5.5 inches but it can vary. It depends on how long you want your tassel to be. Keep a mental note what the bottom of the top of the cardboard is.
2) Wrap yarn around cardboard approximately 30 times. This can vary as depending on how thick or thin you want your bushel of tassel to be.
3) Cut the yarn at the bottom of the cardboard after wrapping.
4) Cut an additional piece of yarn approximately 6 inches in length. Slip this piece of yarn underneath the yarn at the top of the cardboard. Tie into a double knot. This small piece of yarn will be tied onto the ribbon to make the garland.
5) Cut the yarn at the bottom of the cardboard. The pieces of yarn should be about even.
6) Cut another piece of yarn about 9 inches in length. Tie this piece of yarn around the tassel about 1-2 inches from the top of the tassel. Tie in a double knot. The extra length of this piece of yarn should dangle and blend in with the rest of the tassel.
7) You now have a lovely tassel. The 6 inch piece of yarn can be attached to a ribbon to make a garland. Make 25- 32 tassels for your garland. I needed 32 to cover the length of my mantle.